We all know the invigorating scent of fresh oranges. It’s really quite unmistakable. Believed to originate in China, oranges are now grown throughout the Mediterranean, southern Europe, and North and South America. As an essential oil, sweet orange is used quite extensively in aromatherapy for its many beneficial properties.
What are Sweet Orange Essential Oil’s Benefits?
Sweet orange is a very versatile oil. It has impressive health benefits due to its anti-inflammatory, antiseptic, antidepressant, antimicrobial, and antioxidant properties. One of its prime uses in aromatherapy is to help soothe pain and irritation by reducing inflammation. It is also known for its soothing effect on gastric disturbances such as gas and indigestion. Emotionally, it helps relieve negative emotions associated with anxiety, anger, and depression by promoting feelings of happiness and warmth. Sweet orange oil has a stimulating effect on the lymphatic system and supports proper function of the detoxification pathways of the body.
Is Orange and Sweet Orange Oil the Same Thing?
Sweet orange essential oil and orange essential oil are the same thing, but it is not to be confused with bitter orange essential oil. While their indicated uses frequently overlap due to the close similarity of their chemical components, sweet orange oil comes from the fruit of the smaller Citrus sinensis tree where bitter orange comes from the fruit of the larger Citrus aurantium var. amara tree. The primary difference between the two is their photosensitivity effects. Sweet orange essential oil does not cause photosensitivity (unless distilled) where bitter orange essential oil is phototoxic. When sourcing your sweet orange oil, look for cold extracted oil to avoid the phototoxic effects of distilled sweet orange oil.
6 Ways to Use Sweet Orange Essential Oil for AromatherapySweet orange essential oil has a variety of uses, just some of which include:
- Topically in properly diluted massage oil, creams, and lotions. The action of massage along with the lymphatic stimulation of the oil make it highly recommended for this purpose. It also works well as a topical application for sore, tense muscles that would benefit from its anti-inflammatory effects. Massaging over the abdomen can help painful gas to pass more quickly and reduce gastric disturbance symptoms.
- Room diffuser, to help reduce tension and stress. Due to its antimicrobial properties, it is also a good choice to diffuse during cold and flu season to help ward off illness. Combining sweet orange oil with other festive scents like clove, cinnamon, or pine can give you a house that smells like the holidays.
- Properly diluted, sweet orange essential oil can be added to bath water for a soothing, antianxiety experience. (1)
- Mixed with water or alcohol in an essential oil-safe spray bottle, sweet orange oil makes for a lovely air freshener. When used before bedtime, it can help promote relaxation and sleep. (2)
- As an addition to household cleaning solutions, sweet orange oil with its high limonene content makes it an effective cleaning agent. As an added bonus, it leaves you with a pleasant, natural, uplifting scent to go with a clean floor, counter, or window.
Is Sweet Orange Essential Oil Good for Your Skin?
When properly diluted, sweet orange essential is wonderful for the skin. It helps support detoxification of your skin as well as a good general tonic. Sweet orange oil has been found to be an effective alternative to treating acne due to its antimicrobial effects. (3) The high limonene content of sweet orange oil is effective at boosting skin permeability, making it an excellent addition to creams and lotions with other beneficial lipid profiles for the skin as it will allow those nourishing oils to reach deeper into the skin. (4) The anti-inflammatory effects of sweet orange essential oil help soothe irritating skin conditions and can improve overall skin health. But it is important to use it properly diluted as neat sweet orange essential oil can cause skin irritation. Do not use if you are sensitive to citrus oils.
What Mixes Well with Sweet Orange Essential Oil?
Sweet orange essential oil has a refreshing, invigorating scent that pairs well with other essential oils such as:
- Black pepper
- Ylang ylang